At last - here they are: pictures of the new Transalp. As Honda Offenbach told
me, it will be purchaseble around March 2000. Pricing: Most probably it will be for
DEM 1,000.- or so more than the old one.
Read my first riding impressions.
And here: the rival - BMW F650GS (currently German only)
What I like ...
- Liquid cooled 650cc 52 deg V2 SOHC, 6 valves
- bore: 79 mm, stroke: 66 mm = 647 cc
- compression 9.2:1
- 2 34 mm carbs
- airfilter below the tank now
- new and lighter pistons
- 55 hp/7,500 rpm (but that will end up with 50 hp in Germany, I guess)
- 56 nm/5,500 rpm
- 5 gears
- seat heigt 843 mm
- ground clearance 192 mm
- handlebar 10 mm smaller than old one
- 41 mm front fork, spring travel 200 mm
- rear damping adjustable, aluminium ProLink levers, spring travel 172 mm
- tank holding 19 l
- front brake: double disk brake, disk diameter 256 mm
- rear brake: single disk, diameter 240 mm
- weight: 191 kg (dry), equals ready to ride appr. 210 kg
- front wheel: 90/90-21
- rear wheel: 120/90-17
- genuine Honda accesories available so far:
- pannier system
- special tank bag (no pics currently)
- higher screen
- heated grips
- anti-theft alarm
- radio with CD-player (ROTFL)
- middle strut for handle bar
What I don't like ...
- It looks pretty nice, I'm glad, it has much of the good old TA
- 650 cc is good, but I had expected 8 valves
- Dashboard design
- H.I.S.S. anti theft system
- tank cap sinked (AfricaTwin style)
- modified exhaust pipe: first muffler below swingarm axle
- (simple) catalytic converter) and SLS, matching Euro-1 specifications
- key-lockable seat
- tank shape (imagine putting a tankbag on it ...)
- the seat (seems to be far too low, at least for me ;-) )
- 120/90-17 rear tire
- engine guard still plastic, as it seems
- the handlebar (guess why ... ;-) )
- the unprotected new pre-silencer below rear suspension (guess why :( )
Performance diagram: dotted=old, straight=new
The new presilencer (arrow) below the rear suspension. This is bullshit, imagine what will happen when hitting a rock!!! Photo courtesy Diego Tomasi
Diego saw the new TA in Bologna, and he wrote:
Last sunday I've been to the Bologna Motorshow to see new TA.
I like the new line, the rear part is very similar to the old one, the
front is new and it is not so large as I think from pictures.
The instruments are good, round, with fuel indicator and digital clock.
They have take off the fuel (tap?)
The electrical commands have a new design but are the same.
The seat is a bit more comfortable for both pilot and passenger.
It seems to be decreased a bit the distance between seat and footpeg for
The silencer have a new stage under the rear suspension.
For other technical details (new rear suspension, new rear fork, etc) it
must be tested on road.
The colours: nice black, OK red, light green no-comment.
Nice the bags with coloured insert (the black version).
Check back for more!